We are happy to announce a great opportunity for us and you!
BILINGUAL OUTREACH AND COMMUNICATIONS ASSISTANT (English/Spanish)
Egleston Square Main Street’s (ESMS) mission is to build our community, strengthen our business district and revitalize our public spaces through partnerships with local merchants, residents and community groups.
We seek a part-time, temporary project assistant for a project to increase bilingual outreach and communications and build community engagement among both Spanish and English-speaking small businesses and residents, 16-20 hours/week for 8 weeks, beginning in September 2019. Compensation is $20/hr as an independent contractor. You will work closely with the Executive Director.
On the job, you’ll
- Make weekly visits to local businesses to share flyers and information, network, and build relationships
- Participate in monthly Spanish-language merchant meetings (held on Wednesday mornings) and other community meetings
- Set up apps and systems to support ongoing bilingual communications, outreach and community building
- Set up a monthly ESMS newsletter (with MailChimp or Constant Contact) and adapt templates for ongoing use
- Create and share bilingual announcements via text, WhatsApp, email, and social media
- Assist with a project to make organizational materials and website copy available in Spanish
- Assist with recruitment of bilingual and Spanish-speaking volunteers and interns
- Assist with marketing and coordination of bilingual public programs and events, including arts and cultural programs
- Bilingual and bicultural, with native or professional-level fluency in both spoken and written Spanish
- Culturally competent, understands the strengths and challenges of small businesses in immigrant communities and communities of color
- Will enjoy establishing a friendly rapport with small business owners and others in a culturally and economically diverse community (aka “tienes que saber cómo hablar con la gente”)
- Great verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills in both languages
- Experience working in a community/neighborhood setting; familiarity with the Egleston Square community or neighboring Jamaica Plain and Roxbury is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to accomplish objectives independently and manage your time efficiently
- Consistently available to work onsite in Egleston Square during business hours, with some evenings and weekends.
- Available to start ASAP; it is possible to work fewer hours the first two weeks if needed to transition out of other commitments
TO APPLY, send a resume, brief cover letter, and your own translation of the 3 paragraphs below into Spanish to info @ eglestonsquare.org.
This position is made possible thanks to an Impact and Innovation Grant from Boston Main Streets Foundation.
Designated as a Main Street Program in 1996, Egleston Square Main Street is a volunteer-driven organization that revitalizes, preserves, and promotes Egleston Square, located on the border of Roxbury and Jamaica Plain in Boston, MA. ESMS works to retain and develop area businesses, beautify the neighborhood, promote the business district, and collaborate with community partners, artists, and cultural organizations to improve quality of life in Egleston Square.
ESMS is governed by a dedicated volunteer board of directors representing residents, the local business sector, and community organizations. We receive support from community partners and the City of Boston through the Boston Main Streets Program.
We are a small organization with one full-time staff member, the Executive Director, and we rely on volunteers, partnerships and creative problem-solving to get the job done. We aim to create a work environment that is fun, creative, flexible, and rewarding. We also work incredibly hard to accomplish a lot with a little.