Bilingual Small Business Development Coordinator, Upham’s Corner and Egleston Square Partnership
Hours: 20-24 hours per week, $27/hour
Duration: August/September 2022 – June 2023
Possibility for the extension of part-time work after duration date
Flexible scheduling | Friendly and supportive work environment | Business cell phone provided | Paid professional development opportunities
This is a unique opportunity to work directly with small businesses and support community resilience in Dorchester’s Upham’s Corner and nearby Egleston Square on the border of Roxbury and Jamaica Plain.
This position includes both in-person and remote work, with time divided equally across two commercial districts, reporting to the leadership of two Main Street organizations working in partnership. Desired start date is as soon as possible, and September 15 at the very latest.
Upham’s Corner and Egleston Square are both in urban planning districts undergoing significant change, home to historically Cape Verde, Black and Latinx communities with many microbusinesses. Both Main Streets use the arts, culture, and creative placemaking in our community development work.
● Phone and in–person outreach to small businesses and community organizations.
● Gather information about small businesses’ needs by conducting interviews and needs assessments.
● Provide small business owners and workers one-on-one technical assistance (TA) to establish good small business documentations, navigate and access COVID-19 relief funds, small business grants, unemployment benefits, and other sources of support via local, state, and federal economic relief and recovery programs.
● Become knowledgeable about funding and resources most useful for our small businesses. Gather and share details via email, newsletters, flyers, WhatsApp, and in person.
● Meet weekly and coordinate with the Executive Directors and volunteers on programs and initiatives to promote and support small businesses.
● Track and report all outreach and TA on a regular schedule.
● Update and maintain small business inventories and commercial vacancies.
● Recruit local businesses and entrepreneurs to quarterly small business workshops.
● Assist in coordinating and facilitating small business community meetings.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Ability
● Experience with or strong understanding of small business owners’ needs, especially in communities of color and low-to-moderate income communities.
● Diplomatic and approachable, with a passion for conducting outreach and establishing rapport within our communities, and working with diverse groups of people.
● Bilingual with professional writing proficiency in English and Spanish required.
● Proficient in Cape Verdean Creole speaking skills a plus.
● Self-motivated and detail-oriented with excellent communication skills.
● Experience working in grassroots/community settings and adapting to
changing deadlines and priorities.
● Demonstrated experience and comfort with MS Office, Google Docs/Drive. Proficient with Canva and Airtable or willing to learn.
● Ability to work flexible hours in-person and remotely, M-F during business hours with very occasional evenings and Saturdays.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter, resume and two (2) references by email to email@example.com with “Bilingual Small Business Development Coordinator” in the subject line. We will review applications as they are received until September 15, 2022, but we need to fill this position as soon as possible and may hire before that date if we find a good fit. No telephone inquiries please.
About Upham’s Corner Main Street (UCMS)
Upham’s Corner Main Street (UCMS) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, nationally accredited by the National Main Street program since 1996. The mission of UCMS is to improve the quality of life in the Upham’s Corner business district by helping neighborhood businesses thrive. As a nonprofit organization, we bring together local volunteers, businesses and partnering agencies to help strengthen the district’s economic vitality, physical appearance and unique local character.
About Egleston Square Main Street (ESMS)
Egleston Square Main Street, a 501(c)3 nationally accredited by the National Main Street program since 1997, works to create a neighborhood where small businesses can thrive. Our mission is to build our community, strengthen our business district and revitalize our public spaces. We bring together neighbors, merchants, artists, organizations and youth to drive grassroots revitalization and development without displacement.
Equal Opportunity Policy
Upham’s Corner Main Street and Egleston Square Main Street are equal opportunity employers. In compliance with federal and state equal employment laws, equal opportunity will be afforded to all applicants regardless of race, color, sex, status, ex-offender status, or military status. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and the communities we serve.
PDF version HERE